Integration of Huawei Push Kit in Book Reading Android app (Kotlin) — Part 3
In this article, we can learn how to integrate the Huawei Push Kit in Book Reading app to send the push message notification to users phone from the AppGallery Connect. Push notifications offers a great way to increase your application’s user engagement and boost your retention rates by sending meaningful messages or by informing users about your application. These messages can be sent at any time and even if your app is not running at that time. So, I will provide the series of articles on this Book Reading App, in upcoming articles I will integrate other Huawei Kits.
Huawei Push Kit is a messaging service developed by Huawei for developers to send messages to apps on users’ device in real time. Push Kit supports two types of messages: notification messages and data messages. You can send notifications and data messages to your users from your server using the Push Kit APIs or directly from the AppGallery Push Kit Console.
Find the Push Kit message service in AppGallery connect dashboard.
Choose My Projects > Grow > Push Kit, and click Enable now.
Follow the steps to send the notification message to device from AppGallery Connect, Sending a Notification Message.
1. Any operating system (MacOS, Linux and Windows).
2. Must have a Huawei phone with HMS 184.108.40.2060 or later.
3. Must have a laptop or desktop with Android Studio, Jdk 1.8, SDK platform 26 and Gradle 4.6 and above installed.
4. Minimum API Level 24 is required.
5. Required EMUI 9.0.0 and later version devices.
How to integrate HMS Dependencies
1. First register as Huawei developer and complete identity verification in Huawei developers website, refer to register a Huawei ID.
2. Create a project in android studio, refer Creating an Android Studio Project.
3. Generate a SHA-256 certificate fingerprint.
4. To generate SHA-256 certificate fingerprint. On right-upper corner of android project click Gradle, choose Project Name > Tasks > android, and then click signingReport, as follows.
Note: Project Name depends on the user created name.
6. Download the agconnect-services.json file from App information, copy and paste in android Project under app directory, as follows.
7. Enter SHA-256 certificate fingerprint and click Save button, as follows.
Note: Above steps from Step 1 to 7 is common for all Huawei Kits.
8. Click Manage APIs tab and enable Push Kit.
9. Add the below maven URL in build.gradle(Project) file under the repositories of buildscript, dependencies and allprojects, refer Add Configuration.
10. Add the below plugin and dependencies in build.gradle(Module) file.
11. Now Sync the gradle.
12. Add the required permission to the AndroidManifest.xml file.
Let us move to development
I have created a project on Android studio with empty activity let us start coding.
In the WebViewActivity.kt to find the web view of pdf document.
Create PushService.kt class to send the push notification to device.
In the activity_web_view.xml we can create the UI screen.
In the log_layout.xml we can create the UI screen.
Tips and Tricks
1. Make sure you are already registered as Huawei developer.
2. Set minSDK version to 24 or later, otherwise you will get AndriodManifest merge issue.
3. Make sure you have added the agconnect-services.json file to app folder.
4. Make sure you have added SHA-256 fingerprint without fail.
5. Make sure all the dependencies are added properly.
In this article, we have learned how to integrate the Huawei Push Kit in Book Reading app to send the push message notification to users’ phone from the AppGallery Connect. Push notifications offers a great way to increase your application’s user engagement and boost your retention rates by sending meaningful messages or by informing users about your application. These messages can be sent at any time and even if your app is not running at that time.
I hope you have read this article. If you found it is helpful, please provide likes and comments.
Push Kit — Document
Push Kit — Training Video